Since 1972, the Sitka Summer Music Festival has been Alaska’s premiere classical music festival, presenting exquisite music in the pristine setting of Southeast Alaska. The finest musicians from around the world gather in this rarefied paradise for four weeks of events that will challenge and excite your senses.
We hope you will join us for the 2018 Festival June 5 – July 1 in Sitka. Get your tickets today!
Here is our guest artist lineup and a few programming highlights:
Week One Program highlights: Granados Piano Quintet, Turina Piano Quartet, Chopin Nocturne #20 and Polonaise Brilliante for Cello and Piano
June 12-17 | Trio Jinx (Ledah Finck, violin/viola/composition; Yoshiaki Horiguchi, double bass; Louna Dekker-Vargas, flutes); Cecily Ward, violin; Tom Stone, violin/viola; Andrew Smith, cello; Zuill Bailey, cello; Alfredo Oyaguez, piano; Natasha Paremski, piano
Week Two Program Highlights: Schubert “Trout” Piano Quintet, Spanish works for cello and piano, Schulhoff Concertino for Flute, Viola, and Bass
Week Three Program Highlights: Bach Well Tempered Klavier Book 1, Part 1; Arriaga String Quartet; Brahms Piano Quintet; Tchaikovsky “Souvenir d’ Florence”
Week Four Program Highlights: Schoenberg Verklarte Nacht; Schumann Piano Quintet; Mozart Viola Quintet; Bach Well Tempered Klavier, Book 1 Part 2
Our weekly template looks like this:
- Tuesdays at 5:45 pm | Week in Preview – a discussion about the upcoming week’s programs with music educator Susan Reed at Stevenson Hall.
- Wednesdays at 6:30pm | Cafe Concert – an informal performance in the lower level of the Mean Queen.
- Thursdays at 12:15pm | Bach’s Lunch – free one-hour concert (no Bach’s Lunch on June 28) at the Odess Theater.
- Fridays & Saturdays evenings at 7:30 | Evening Concerts – formal evening concert at Harrigan Centennial Hall. Join us at 6:45 for a pre-concert lecture and interview with the artists. **Note: During the last week of the Festival, Evening Concerts will be held on Thurs-Fri (June 28-29) instead of Fri-Sat.
- Sundays | Special Events:
- June 10 – BP Family Concert and Sea Mart Ice Cream social at the Sheet’ka Kwaan Nad Kahidi
- June 17 – Crab Feed at Crescent Harbor Shelter
- June 24 – Allen Marine Boat Cruise – departs from Crescent Harbor Lightering Dock.
- July 1 – Concert Brunch hosted at a local private home.
All 16 Beethoven String Quartets will be performed during the first two weeks of the 2016 Sitka Summer Music Festival. The Cypress String Quartet has been gearing up for this musical treat as a part of their [...]