Since 1972, the Sitka Summer Music Festival has been Alaska’s premiere classical music festival, presenting exquisite music in the pristine setting of Southeast Alaska. The finest musicians from around the world gather in this rarefied paradise for four weeks of events that will challenge and excite your senses.
The 2017 Festival will run June 6 – July 2. The artist schedule looks like this so far (more will be added, so keep checking back!):
June 6-12: violinist Kurt Nikkanen, violist Scott Rawls, pianist Maria Astriadou
June 13-19: pianist Yuliya Gorenman
June 20-26: violinist Ben Breen, violist Martin Sher, pianist Navah Perlman
June 27-July 2: violinist Paul Rosenthal, cellist Melissa Kraut
Our weekly template looks like this:
- Tuesdays at 5:30 pm | Week in Preview – a discussion about the upcoming week’s programs with music educator Susan Reed
- Wednesdays at 6:30 pm | Cafe Concert – an informal performance in one of Sitka’s restaurants
- Thursdays at Noon | Bach’s Lunch – free one-hour concert
- Thursday evenings | Musical Movie – enjoy a movie with a musical theme
- Friday & Saturday evenings at 7:30 | Evening Concerts – formal evening concert at Harrigan Centennial Hall. Join us at 6:45 for a pre-concert lecture and interview with the artists.
- Sundays | Special Events:
- June 11 – Family Concert
- June 18 – Crab Feed
- June 25 – Boat Cruise
- July 2 – Concert Brunch
Scenes from the 2016 Festival
These great shots come to us from Clark James Mishler Photography.
Are you wanting to learn more about visiting Sitka?